When there is an experience of trauma, there is often a degree of disassociation and blocking out of the experience which serves to protect us from the full impact of the trauma. This is helpful in the short term and yet in the long term can play a part in not fully recognising the effects of trauma on our life and so taking steps to heal and resolve it, to allow you to move on and live your life fully.
Trauma can affect us in so many ways, it can affect our outlook on life, our sense of self and can be a contributing factor in anxiety, panic attacks, addictions and eating disorders. Recognising the signs of unresolved trauma can be a first step in realising that there is a problem which needs addressing and finding the assistance you need to heal and resolve it.
Here are some of the signs of unresolved trauma:-
1. panic or anxiety attacks, including difficulty breathing in everyday situations
2. feeling numb, disconnected or disassociated, feeling “dead inside”
3. difficulty sleeping and relaxing, feeling of being constantly on alert
4. long term depression
5. avoiding people , places and situations that trigger anxiety or are related to original trauma
6. using substances such as alcohol, sugar, food, drugs to numb out
7. find it difficult to fully enjoy life, or to be present and engaged in this moment
8 intense anger, rage or other emotions that can erupt suddenly
9. self harm or other destructive behaviours
10. difficulty dealing with conflicts
11. strong need to be in control in relationships and/or environment
12. believe there is something wrong with them or they are unworthy or bad in some way
13. suicidal thoughts
14. intense feelings of hopelessness, loss of purpose and meaning
15. experience of being a victim in various situations and relationships
If you have some or many of the signs of unresolved trauma, it may be a good time to get assistance to heal any trauma you may have experienced so as you can live a fuller, more vital and engaged life.
Finding the right approach and person to assist you to heal and resolve trauma is important. When undealt with trauma can continue to affect and limit enjoyment and fullness of life. There are many different approaches that have been found to be of assistance with healing and resolving trauma including EMDR, hypnotherapy and tapping. The right person is also important as trust and a sense of safety and support are key factors in the healing process.
Assisting people to heal and resolve from trauma is a key area that I’m passionate about as I have seen the huge impact that trauma can have in people’s life. If you would like to speak about ways we could work together, you can contact me using the contact form.