10 to 20 % of people suffer from the “winter blues” or SAD – seasonal affectative disorder which it is thought is caused by decreased sunlight which studies show may increase levels of the hormone melatonin and/or decrease levels of the neurotransmitter seratonin causing mood depression as well as other symptoms such as social withdrawal, fatigue, irritability and concentration.
Some things that you can do to improve your mood and overall wellbeing in winter:-
* spend at least 1 hour outside – a winter walk can do wonders to lift your spirits
* daily exercise – especially aerobic exercise that increase the heart and breathing rate for 20 to 30 minutes daily
* catch up with friends or family – spending time with friends and family is a great way to improve your mood and reduces the sense of isolation that can accompany “winter blues”
* take up a winter hobby – winter is a great time to take up a new hobby or to make time to do something you enjoy such as writing, painting, dance, quilting or photography.
* Wear bright colours – colour definitely has an effect on our mood and emotions. Wearing bright colours such as red, orange and yellow can brighten your mood and your day.
* listen to uplifting music – music has powerful healing and therapeutic effects. Studies have shown that music can be used to increase relaxation, decrease depression and anxiety and reduce pain.
How hypnotherapy can help
A holistic approach to hypnotherapy can assist people who are dealing with depression, especially milder forms of depression. This is not a replacement for medical or psychological treatment, rather a form of self-help that can assist depression sufferers. Always consult your medical doctor if you are experiencing depression.
Hypnotherapy assists you to tap into the creative part of your brain, that comes up with new solutions and can help you to change the way you feel. Children use the creative part of their brain every day, in different forms of play. If you watch are child playing they are relaxed, focused and often smiling. As adults, we often forget to make time to tap into our creative part. Hypnotherapy is a great way to do that and to improve wellbeing and tap into new feelings and ways of living your life and achieving positive outcomes.
Hypnosis is outcome based, so can assist you to find a positive focus and to set and achieve goals in different areas of your life. Having a positive vision for your life gives you something to look forward to and to work towards which can be of great assistance for people dealing with depression.
If you would like to know more about how hypnotherapy can assist you to feel better and find a positive focus for your life, you can find out more here:- holistic hypnotherapy